Representation For Simple Assault Charges
Under Florida Statute 784.011, assault, or simple assault, can be defined as “an intentional, unlawful threat by word or act to do violence to the person of another, coupled with an apparent ability to do so, and doing some act which creates a well-founded fear in such other person that such violence is imminent.”
At the Finkelstein Firm, P.A., I help clients in Clearwater defend themselves from all forms of assault charges. My name is Jenna Finkelstein, and I am prepared to use my extensive experience to help you in any way that I can, starting by explaining what is at risk in your case.
Elements Of Simple Assault
There are several elements that need to be present for your charges to qualify as a simple assault. These are as follows:
- The accused defendant intentionally and unlawfully threatened to do violence to the alleged victim, by word or action.
- The accused defendant appeared to be capable of carrying out the threat at the time the threat was made.
- The threat made by the alleged defendant created a justifiable fear that the violence was going to take place.
Assault in the state of Florida is considered a second-degree misdemeanor. Multiple penalties can be issued upon your conviction of assault. Some of these penalties include:
- A maximum of 60 days in jail
- A fine of up to $500
- Six months of probation
I am highly experienced in representing clients charged with assault; therefore, I’m knowledgeable in defense strategies to fight a charge of this nature.
Developing A Personalized Defense Strategy
Examples of possible defenses against assault may be:
- The words or actions were not intentional.
- The assault occurred based on words alone; there was no overt act that accompanied the threat.
- The alleged defendant was not in close enough proximity to carry out the threat.
- The alleged defendant did not have the immediate ability to carry out the threat.
- The alleged defendant acted in self-defense.
- They are false allegations.
I understand that facing a criminal charge can be frightening and overwhelming. Due to the potential consequences associated with the crime of simple assault, it is imperative that you speak with an experienced defense attorney right away. I have years of experience defending citizens charged with simple assault. I have the knowledge and skill to fight for the best result in your case. I am a lawyer who is accessible and dependable when you need me the most.
Let Me Defend Your Future
Contact me at 727-202-4418 or email my firm here to schedule a free analysis of your case at my local office, located in Clearwater. I handle cases in Pinellas County and the surrounding areas, including Hillsborough, Manatee, Sarasota, Pasco and Polk counties. It is crucial to learn your legal options if you have been accused of simple assault. Let me get started working for you today.